Categories

Friday 29 March 2013

Growing older - The Middle Ages

My lovely friend Cala runs Rose and Lula - a wonderful bag and accessory business, and in tandem she writes an inspirational, whimsical blog about setting up shop, realizing her dreams and achieving her goals. She recently posted a very entertaining piece about turning 40 - you can read it here and has allowed me to shamelessly copy her (thank you Cala). Whilst mine isn't a milestone birthday, I'm certainly another year older, definitely greyer and just possibly that little bit wiser. So here are 47 random things about me I thought I would share with you:

1: Happiness is being on a beach, anywhere, in any weather.


2: I wish I could play jazz piano.
3: My favourite book? "Love in the Time of Cholera" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.


4: The song that makes me cry - "Chasing Cars" by Snow Patrol.
5: I can't bear busking accordion players - they bring out the worst in me.
6: Wardrobe staple? Converse Allstar lowtops in white or cream.


7: Donny Osmond or David Cassidy? Definitely David Cassidy.


8: I can happily watch "Finding Nemo" on a loop.


9: Would like to spend the day? Discovering Paris with Inès de la Fressange.

 
10: New Year's Eve makes me melancholy.
11: Favourite movie - so hard to choose but I'll say "The Way We Were".


12: Clothing obsession: Breton tops - blue and white stripes are like a magnet to me.... I have one that was my father-in-law's by Armorlux, it's still going strong.


13: I'd like to escape to - Parrot Cay, Turks & Caicos.

Photo: www.cntraveler.com

14: My favourite season? Spring.


 15: In 2013 I'm trying to "dare greatly" as Brene Brown puts it - watch her TedTalk and be inspired.


16: I dislike bananas in any shape or form.
17: Anger is such a negative energy - I try to give it as little houseroom as possible.
18: I'm superstitious about magpies (1 for sorrow, 2 for joy), ladders and the number 13.
19: Lifestyle guru: Mary Poppins. There's nothing she couldn't solve with a dash of common sense and good humour.


20: Audrey Hepburn is my ongoing inspiration, for her style, sincerity and love of humanity.


21: I take great satisfaction in crossing things off my 'To Do' list.
22: I'd say I'm a patient person except at 8.19 in the morning when we should be out the door.
23: I'm a very British girl who doesn't drink tea.
24: If I could come back in another life?  I'd be Karl Lagerfeld's cat Choupette -with 2 maids and a Twitter account, what's not to like?

 
25:Herbal tea or stiff drink? Stiff drink - preferably a Martini (Hendricks gin, stirred, with a twist of lemon - or cucumber).


26: Best smell - my childrens' hair when they are sleeping. Yes, I still do it....
27: Good mood food: a Thai duck curry.
28: Best song lyric: "Don't get me wrong, if I'm looking kind of dazzled, I see neon lights, whenever you walk by" - The Pretenders.
29: Practising yoga makes me a nicer person - fact.

Photo: Pinterest
30: I find other people very interesting - I think I am inherently nosy.
31: I wish I had skin that tanned easily - sadly with my Celtic roots, factor 50 is essential to avoid the lobster look.
32: Laughter is definitely the best medicine - my boys' laughter is the best sound in the world.
33: Favourite Christmas movie: "White Christmas" - I am completely word perfect (ask English Gent).


34: Other people's junk is so often my treasure - upcycling is my byword.
35: Fresh flowers will always lift my mood and I would love to be a trained florist.

Flowers: Scarlet & Violet

36: Favourite art form? Cinema. I was lucky enough to work in the film industry for 10 years - crazy but good.




37: My greatest achievement? Giving birth to my two sons.
38: Yotam Ottolenghi is my current culinary hero, I am obsessed with sumac.


39: Glass half full or half empty? Half full.
40: Guilty pleasure? Watching "Lewis". (I have a secret crush on Laurence Fox.)


41: I don't like wearing skirts.
42: I absolutely love a bargain, in any shape or form.
43: Hope, truth and love are my three Graces.
44: I believe if you spend time doing good, then good things will come to you.
45: Favourite love song? "Fix You" by Coldplay.
46: Shoes and handbags - you can never have too many.

Jane Birkin & her Birkin bag/Photo: Telegraph

47: Official Middle Age: more time to live, laugh, love well and be true to myself, oh and try to grow old gracefully...

8 comments:

StealthCrystal said...

You are nosy. Fact

Juliette Chisholm said...

Well at least I admitted it :)

Cala said...

Love this post! (and not just for the linky love). Chasing cars also makes me cry and I also share your 8.19 patience... Off to google "sumac" x

Helen said...

love your list... in fact I love everything on your blog! xx

Juliette Chisholm said...

Thanks so much - I keep thinking of things to add to my list, but they'll have to wait! x

Anonymous said...

So much of my list would be the same.

Anonymous said...

Love your list. So much of mine would be the same.

Juliette Chisholm said...

Glad to know I'm not alone with some of my likes and dislikes! Thanks for commenting.