Categories

Wednesday 20 March 2013

Shiny Ponies and Ugly Dollies

The ever inspiring fashion icon Jenna Lyons, creative director and Queen of all things J Crew, has talked about her love of shoes in a short video for the company in which she explains what separates a "shiny pony' from an 'ugly dolly".  It's a slightly bonkers take on women's footwear but at the same time rather genius. She takes us behind the scenes to the factory in Italy and explains the design process and attention to detail that J Crew insist on for each pair of fabulous heels.


Photos: J Crew

Lyons has 289 pairs, some of which she has never worn (that makes me feel so much better), thinks leopard is a neutral (yeah!) and believes that "there is a sense of sparkle in a shoe, and I don't mean sequins, I mean that little extra". She also adds that "Shoes are like fairies, that little magical piece that finishes everything...."

Photo: J. Crew


Blue floral pumps with a sequin block heel, colour contrast courts - I'm wanting all of this season's gems and it just makes me love Jenna that little bit more, because I feel as one shoe person to another, we would of course be best friends - like immediately - if we had the chance to bond over traffic stopping stilettos.



In the meantime, I'm dreaming of crazy coloured fairy shoes and dancing the night away in my shiny ponies!



Do you have a favourite shoe and if so, does it have a name?

2 comments:

StealthCrystal said...

I have a pair of booties that I call my Femshep boots. It's a gaming thing, but I imagine they are what Femshep would wear when she's off duty. I feel really badass when I wear them

Juliette Chisholm said...

Are they your Adolpho Dominguez ones? I need to see them!