Categories

Wednesday 3 April 2013

What Stella Wore

I have to admit to having a bit of a girl crush on Stella McCartney at the moment. I know, it was Jenna Lyons last week, but that's how it is with crushes - you can have more than one...

I've always admired Stella as a working mum and a highly covetable designer but the thing that really triggered my full on crush was what she wore to meet the Queen last week to receive her much deserved OBE for services to the UK Fashion industry:

Photo: Getty

Wearing a blue bespoke skirt suit she designed herself of course, she looked stylish, chic and totally appropriate for the occasion.  I can't fault this look in any way, in fact I'm completely wowed by it.

Photo: Getty

The length of the skirt is just right, the jacket with its perfectly nipped in waist gives more than a nod to Dior's 1947 New Look "Bar" jacket, and she tops the look off with a Vintage Cartier brooch as a hairpiece - a lovely touch. I also have to add that her husband Alasdair Willis isn't looking too bad either (I'm so loving a man with a beard at the moment). They simply make a beautiful, classy couple.

Photo: Mary McCartney for Harper's Bazaar

Garance Doré did a great little interview with Stella a couple of months ago, and she comes across as funny and real and I liked her take on life:



For all she moves in the high falutin' world of haute couture, she seems to have her feet relatively firmly on the ground (OK, so she likes to call the nanny her 'friend' but I'll forgive her that one....) She's a working mother of four, she's dedicated to carrying on her late mother Linda's work in promoting animal welfare and to this end she's pioneering non-leather shoes and handbags in her collections which is pretty impressive at the top of the fashion chain, and more's the point people are buying them, along with her very wearable clothes.

Stella McCartney S/S 2013/Photo: Mert Atlas & Marcus Piggott

Crazy shoes!

Stella McCartney S/S 2013 Photo Mert Atlas & Marcus Piggott

I really think you'd be hard pushed not to think this bag was the real thing, and yet how much better that it's not.

She admits to looking out for her own designs on other mothers when she's on the school run (well I would, wouldn't you?), she wants her children to know that you have to work for your money, and she admits that juggling work and motherhood makes her feel guilty - see, she's just like us (well sort of...)

Photo: PA

OBE fully deserved.

2 comments:

Nita said...

I agree, she looks perfect for the occasion!

Juliette Chisholm said...

If I ever got to meet the Queen, I would love to look like this.